- 150g Soup Mix (Tesco brand: 55% pearl barley, 18% yellow split peas, 9% green split peas, 9% marrowfat peas, 9% red split lentils)
- 1 celery plant (6-8 stalks approx, I had to remove some grubby bits because the one I used was getting old)
- 2 medium carrots
- Half a large onion
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Soak soup mix overnight (I soaked them for 10 hours approx) in a large saucepan with the lid on.
- Drain the soup mix in a sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water, then return to the saucepan.
- Fill the kettle and switch it on.
- Finely chop all of the vegetables and add them to the saucepan.
- Add the teaspoon of salt.
- When the kettle is boiled, cover the contents of the saucepan with boiling water. I filled it until the water was 2-3cm above the vegetables. Stir thoroughly, taking care to unstick any lentils from base of pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.